Your feet are the foundation of your body, and they are subject to tremendous stress in supporting your body while you stand, walk, run, ski, snowboard, or skate. Your feet are a complex system of 52 bones, 66 joints, 214 ligaments and 38 tendons and muscles, containing 25% of all the bones in your body. In your lifetime your feet will take over 100 million steps. Abnormal stresses and structural problems in your feet can cause pain throughout your entire body. Whatever the source of your pain, consider the possibility that custom prescribed foot orthotics can help.
What are Custom Foot Orthotics?
Custom foot orthotics are corrective devices that fit into a shoe that help support, align, and correct your feet. At our clinic our doctors create custom molds of your feet to ensure precise fabrication of orthotics that will fit specifically and comfortably to your feet.
Orthotics are made to control improper foot function, re-establish weight distribution and improve overall balance, posture, and reduce fatigue. Because of the wide variety of conditions that orthotics can potentially treat, there are several different types of orthotics, many of which can be transferred and fit into multiple shoes. If you walk or stand excessively, are active in sports, overweight, or diabetic, orthotics may be of great benefit to you!
What are the benefits of Custom Foot Orthotics?
- Reducing foot fatigue and pain
- Correcting foot and body posture and alignment
- Decreasing the stress on joints in the feet, ankles, knees, hips, and back
- Providing additional shock absorption
- Improving balance and strength
- Accommodating and preventing diabetic and other skin conditions in the feet
What conditions can Custom Foot Orthotics help with?
It is important to understand that dysfunction in your feet can lead to problems up to your ankle, knees, hips, back, and even neck! Listed below are some of the conditions orthotics may be helpful for:
- Flat feet (pes planus) and excessive pronation
- Excessively arched feet and supination
- Foot Conditions (Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, calluses, corns, heel spurs)
- Neck Pain (whiplash, neck stiffness)
- Lower Back and Sacroiliac Pain
- Hip Pain
- Knee problems (Patellar Femoral Syndrome, Arthritis, Ligament Sprains, bow leg and knock knees)
- Shin Splints
- Ankle sprains
What is the process in getting orthotics?
Please contact us to make an appointment for an orthotic assessment. The doctors at our clinic are highly trained and qualified to provide a thorough orthotic assessment for patients which include:
- physical examination of your feet
- analysis of your walking patter, known as your “gait cycle”
- examination of the wear pattern on your shoes
The doctor will use the information from your orthotic and Chiropractic assessment to determine if orthotics may be right for you, and if so, create a custom mold of your feet, from which the orthotics will be made to fit. The orthotic manufacturing process takes approximately 3 weeks. The doctor will explain how the alignment of your feet and movement of your feet may relate to your posture, alignment, and pains that you may be experiencing.
To learn more about Custom Foot Orthotics and our manufacturer partner, please visit the link below.